List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal: x86-64 micro-architecture update
From:       Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs () math ! uh ! edu>
Date:       2019-07-24 16:51:02

FW> ELF multilib DSOs inside RPMs result in code deduplication,
FW> affecting container image size.

I think it's important to quantify this kind of thing.  I think we can
all agree that there is very little benefit to duplicating every single
library, so extra space usage would come only from libraries which meet
all of:

* Compiling with AVX2 (or whatever) provides benefit
* Special runtime detection code isn't included
* Function multiversioning or the fancy target_clones attribute isn't
  used

And by implementing the latter two, the set can shrink.

So, really, how much space are we really talking about here?

FW> Currently, there is no dynamic loader
FW> support for selecting an AVX2 baseline.  Fixing this requires
FW> complete agreement among all involved parties what the actual CPU
FW> requirements are (currently, not even glibc and GCC agree what
FW> "haswell" means, the closest we have to an AVX2 baseline).  But
FW> similar fixes are required for any baseline update.

I have a hard time believing that solving that would be somehow less
preferable than either making Fedora unusable on a whole class of
hardware or splitting off a completely new architecture.

 - J<