List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: JavaScript SIG?
From:       "T.C. Hollingsworth" <tchollingsworth () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-06-16 4:51:21

On Sun, Jun 14, 2015 at 11:48 PM, Matthias Runge <mrunge@redhat.com> wrote:
> There are quite a few programs out there, solely made for fetching tarballs,
> zips, git snapshots to place those to a location in file system. A different
> program for a different target language[...]

...even programs for whole operating systems.  Included by default in
recent versions of Fedora:
http://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/machinectl.html

:-)

> Thinking of rpm, all those should go away.

rpm doesn't solve the same problems these other programs do (and vice
versa!)  Like allowing easy access to static web packages that really
shouldn't require root.  If there's going to be one package manager to
rule them all, we're going to need something a little better...

-T.C.