List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Changing default syslog package
From:       Steve G <linux_4ever () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2007-06-25 17:45:17

>> We looked at several packages to be the new default syslog
>> daemon. The one that comes the closest is rsyslog.
>
>I can't help but wonder what happened to syslog_ng, which was at one
>point supposed to be the syslog replacement in Fedora.

For one, its dual licensed. If we go adding the features that are in the non-free
version, I think that will create bad-blood. Its configuration file does not
appear to be backawards compatible, meaning everyone will have to go reconfigure
their logging. Anyone that prefers syslog-ng can still use that.

-Steve