List:       exmh-users
Subject:    Re: information about filtering mail and exmh/nmh
From:       Bill Wohler <wohler () newt ! com>
Date:       1998-05-06 7:48:22

Richard Coleman <coleman@math.gatech.edu> writes:
> The following is a copy of the file MAIL.FILTERING that I'm
> adding to the next nmh distribution.  It gives information about
> how to correctly use procmail in conjunction with exmh and nmh.

  OK, so it's been a while, but I finally got around to implementing
  the suggestions in your file.  Thanks for the ideas!  Now that
  unprocessed messages are going straight into +inbox, I had to tweak
  xfaces as follows included here for the benefit of others:

.Xdefaults:

XFaces.listCommand:		makefaces

makefaces:

#! /bin/sh
#
# $Id: makefaces,v 1.1 1998/05/06 07:24:59 wohler Exp $
#
# NAME
#   makefaces - input file for xfaces
#
# SYNOPSIS
#   XFaces.listCommand: makefaces
#
# DESCRIPTION
#   makefaces generates output that is used by xfaces to determine
#   which faces to display.  This particular version is tuned to MH
#   by using scan to display the unseen messages in +inbox.
#
# OPTIONS
#
# RETURNS
#
# AUTHOR
#   Copyright 1998 Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com>, Newt Software, 5 May 1998

#
# Defaults (variables that may be affected by arguments).
#
ICONUSER=wohler				# user and host used to create icon
ICONHOST=newt.com			# when there are no messages (not
					# implemented).

#
# Constants (variables that do not change during runtime).
#

# xfaces in iconic state.
# Usage: user host
# Not currently implemented.
echo $ICONUSER $ICONHOST

# Layout.
# Usage: Cols=<columns> Rows=<rows>
# One column, infinite number of rows.
echo Cols=1 Rows=0

# Faces.  These fields should be separated by tabs.
# Usage: user host
# Bury "scan: bad message list unseen" message.
scan -format '%(mbox{From})	%(host{From})' +inbox unseen 2> /dev/null

Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com>
Say it with MIME.  Maintainer of comp.mail.mh and news.software.nn FAQs.