List:       exmh-users
Subject:    Re: exmh "remote control"?
From:       Ted Rathkopf <rathkopf () s-1 ! com>
Date:       1997-08-26 20:31:08

ldaffner@buttons.rsn.hp.com said:
> What I'd like to know is, is there a way to get information back from
> another tcl/tk application? For example, I'd like to check the number
> of unread messages from a separate wish script.

sure.  here is a scrap of code that is in a Tk app that I use to get a
counter of the number of unseen messages in each of my folders (written
before exmh's unseen window existed):

    foreach i $folderList {
        set tmpMessages($i) [llength [send -displayof .exmhdisplay \
                $ExmhProg Flist_UnseenMsgs $i]]
    }

My app has the ability to run on a different display than exmh, which
can be handy for those multi-machine desktops.  It opens a toplevel
widget (.exmhdisplay) on the display of exmh, and immediately withdraws
it.  Hence, the use of the -displayof option to send.

--
Ted Rathkopf                         E-Mail: rathkopf@s1.com
Security First Technologies           Phone: (601) 818-0032