List:       exim-users
Subject:    Re: [exim] Exim : The Documentation
From:       Ian Eiloart <iane () sussex ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2010-01-25 10:56:26

--On 25 January 2010 02:28:13 +0000 Always Learning
<exim.users@exim1.euro2.net> wrote:

> Hi Marc,
>
>> I'm not trying to knock Exim's docs. But I think the perspective of a
>> new user is helpful. Most of us learned Exim from back when it was
>> small. We might want to rethink the docs to see if they can be improved.
>
> I'm in favour of:-
>
> (1) A combined reference manual and user guide with examples.

The reference manual does include examples. More are always welcome.
Perhaps the wiki should be structured as an extension to the reference
manual, such that the manual could include, in each chapter, a reference
into relevant parts of the wiki.

> (2) At the top of pages can be the official documentation. This should
> not be publicly changeable.
>
> (3) Beneath it can be user comments, tips and advice. This should be
> publicly changeable. Similar to PHP.

The reference manual is also available as a PDF. links into the wiki could
also be included here.

> (4) Wiki entries should be directly referenced from the main Exim
> documentation pages.
>
> (5) The configuration file should be divided into several clearly
> distinct parts and the documentation should follow the sequence of those
> parts.

It is, see part 6.2 of the documentation. It is also useful to divide the
main part of the configuration file into three parts: macros, lists and
global settings as implied by .

> (6) If the configuration file does not allow includes, that could be
> usefully implemented at the next revision. Includes will allow the bits
> that frequently change to be kept separate from the configuration
> details that are predominately static. I do this with Apache and it
> works extremely well.

It does. See part 6.3 of the documentation. In fact, the main configuration
file in the Debian distro consists entirely of includes.

Might I suggest that you read chapters 3, 6, and 7.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex