List:       exim-users
Subject:    Re: [exim] Exim and Sophie
From:       "John W. Baxter" <jwblist3 () olympus ! net>
Date:       2006-11-29 20:58:08

On 11/28/06 2:09 AM, "Linn, Dr John A." <j.linn@abdn.ac.uk> wrote:

> The commonality about the occasions is that the message originated form
> an Exchange 5.5 system and had a PDF attachment; the second time it was
> a reply to such a message including the original.
>

> 1. has anyone else experienced the same; what did you do? (last
> night we just blocked the originator and sent them a message)

At least one older version of Outlook (Outlook 2000) is well known for
producing badly-formed quoted-printable PDF attachments, IF the sender is
sending styled text (as Outlook users tend to) and IF the global preference
for sending styled text is set to Rich Text.  (For HTML, it uses base-64
encoding and gets the encoding right.)

This could well be what is happening here.

(We encountered this when we got a complaint that one recipient of a few of
an attached brochure draft could not read the message because Outlook
Express crashed (or perhaps Acrobat Reader [the name then] crashed.  The
other recipients were using Outlook, which did understand the attachment.
The solution--because the complaint came from someone with influence on the
sender, was to set the sending Outlook to use HTML.)

(Looking a little deeper, decoding the quoted-printable--by any means I
tried--produced a faulty PDF file which crashed anything I tried to view it
with (Win Acrobat Reader, Mac Acrobat Reader, Mac OS X Preview).

Here's one reference (not the one we found when the problem presented):
<http://two.pairlist.net/pipermail/reportlab-users/2004-April/002909.html>

  --John