List:       exim-users
Subject:    Re: [exim] Autoreply database on NFS
From:       "John W. Baxter" <jwblist3 () olympus ! net>
Date:       2006-11-29 19:18:23

On 11/29/06 1:45 AM, "Philip Hazel" <ph10@hermes.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> We've been running Exim on a 3-host cluster with home directories on NFS
> for many years, and I don't think there's ever been a problem with the
> once databases. At least if there has, nobody has told me. However, I
> suppose if there was a problem, it is probable that nobody noticed! Does
> the loss of an update to the once database really matter?

An error in the form of a lost update is quite unlikely to be noticed.  How
would the recipient of the "extra" message know it was extra rather than the
result of an over-exuberant policy?

Except for our own auto-replies (which use MySQL for the record-keeping and
are not done in Exim), I pay no attention other than to curse and discard.

(I sort of understand out of office autoreplies.  I have trouble
understanding why home users are sending "burgle here" signs around the
Internet.)

  --John