List:       exim-users
Subject:    Re: [exim] spammers IP ban
From:       Mathieu Roy <yeupou () coleumes ! org>
Date:       2006-02-25 23:09:37

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Le Vendredi 24 Février 2006 20:18, Eric Fox a écrit :
> I do something similar to this.  When I've rejected a message as known
> spam, a log entry is posted in maillog.  I then use logsurfer to monitor
> maillog for these entries.  Logsurfer parses out the IP and passes it on
> to a script that temporarily adds a blocking rule to the firewall, and
> comes back a while later to remove the rule.
>
> This could probably also be done from a router & transport combination as
> well. I used logsurfer because I was already using it for other purposes.

Hello,

I found the idea of relying on logs checker interesting and I followed it to
write "See you later".

Basically, it studies logs and expect to find the string ++BAN:IP++. If it
founds this, it stores it in a mysql database. And then, another script
update /etc/hosts.deny according to the database.

I did not spent time to work on integrating this more into Exim because
actually I prefer to have a rather simple exim setup, not embedding too much
things. And I was not prepared to spend time to write client/server model
like spamc/spamd to make something that truly scale - and starting perl new
process each time a spam is caught is a no go.

The drawback is the delay between the time the spam is caught and the actual
ban.

But so far it seems to work properly.

https://gna.org/projects/seeyoulater/

Regards,