List:       exim-users
Subject:    [exim] spammers IP ban
From:       Mathieu Roy <yeupou () coleumes ! org>
Date:       2006-02-24 16:29:15

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hello,

I'm of the admins of Gna! (http://gna.org), a software development platform
sponsored by the FSF France.

We have an antispam policy composed of DSNBL checks at SMTP time and
spamassassin checks afterwards (tagging mails sent to users, redirecting
spams to a dedicated "spam list" mails sent to mailing-lists, deleting such
mails getting score higher to 13).

I'd like to keep do IP bans for boxes that send us spam. For instance, to do
such ban if we are in case of "deny" at SMTP time due to DNSBL or in a case
of a mail that got a spamassassin score higher than 13.

This would be a short ban, for say one hour, just to make ineffective the
spammer/virus that would have to find another @domain to spam at least for
the next hour, without costing too much in case a legitate user was affected
by this ban

Exim is using through xinetd, so xinetd could do the filtering by itself,
provided we give to him appropriate IPs (drawback: it requires to restart
xinetd each time we would like to update the list to get no_access taken into
account; unless we somehow find a way to use the sensors mechanism for this
purpose).

I've searched a bit on the internet, indeed in the Exim FAQ, but found nothing
helpful to me. Did I miss something?

If not, any suggestions?

Regards,

--
Mathieu Roy

  | General Homepage:           http://yeupou.coleumes.org/             |
  | Computing Homepage:         http://alberich.coleumes.org/           |
  | Not a native english speaker:                                       |
  |     http://stock.coleumes.org/doc.php?i=/misc-files/flawed-english  |