List:       evms-devel
Subject:    [Evms-devel] Root on LVM2 on RAID-1 with EVMS
From:       "Brian Buchanan" <BrianBuchanan () interfast ! ca>
Date:       2006-05-24 18:42:08

I'm looking for comments and advice on setting up a system with LVM2 on
RAID-1 using EVMS.

So far I've got a plain Slackware-10.2 install running on hda.  I have
three partitions for boot (128M) swap (2G) and root (10G) and unused space
(200+G).

I have EVMS installed and I'm booting with the evms-2.5.5-initrd.gz which
I modified slightly to load kernel modules rather than compile those
features into my booting kernel.

Using EVMSGUI, on my second disk (hdb) I have created two disk segments,
hdb1 (128M), and hdb2 (2G).

On those two disk segments, I have created two degraded RAID-1 regions;
md0 on hdb1 and md1 on hdb2.  On md0 I created an EVMS volume called boot
and on md1 I created a EVMS volume called swap.

My plan is to cp -a /boot to /dev/evms/boot and edit lilo.conf.  I'm not
exactly sure what to set the lilo.conf boot= line too.  I'm thinking
boot=/dev/hdb or boot=/dev/md0 or possibly boot=/dev/evms/boot.  I might
need a raid-extra-info=/dev/hdb or raid-extra-info=mbr if I choose
/dev/md0 and some prior experience has indicated that lilo will give me
trouble while md0 is degraded.  (something about it not identifying the
device, we'll see when I get there).

I want to use the free space on hdb to make a single disk segment, put a
degraded RAID-1 on it and put a LVM2 container on it.

My remaining questions are about how to split up the LVM2 container.

I'm thinking about making several volumes, / (200M), /usr (4G), /var (1G),
/home (20G), /tmp (2G), /opt (2G), everything small as resonable, with the
idea that these volumes can be expanded later if necessary, even to the
point of adding more drives or RAIDs and expanding the LVM container onto
them.

Does that all sound reasonable?  Any comments?

._. Brian