List:       evms-devel
Subject:    [Evms-devel] evms + initrd + udev
From:       Andrew Schulman <andrex () alumni ! utexas ! net>
Date:       2005-12-22 18:57:21

I'm using EVMS to manage my root file system.  I have the usual initrd setup
(customized from the one provided with EVMS) that runs evms_activate to
activate my root volume before calling pivot_root to the root volume.  So far,
so good.  All of this is standard and works fine.

Now, I want to start using udev.  But I have some questions:

- Do I need to include udev in the initrd?  Or can I just continue to use a
small static /dev directory there?  After pivot_root, the static /dev would go
away, to be replaced shortly thereafter by a new dynamic /dev, created by
udev.  Then evms_activate would be run again, root remounted, and so on.  But
for a while after pivot_root, /dev/evms/root wouldn't exist.  Does that
matter?  (Maybe not:  isn't this what happens now?  I'm thinking aloud...)

- If I do need to use udev in the initrd, then what's the right sequence of
commands to put in linuxrc?  The supplied initrd and INSTALL.initrd have
discussion and commands for devfs, but nothing about udev.  I'm sure that with
some effort and working from the devfs examples, I could work out the right
sequence.  But I'm new to udev and don't understand it well yet.  If someone
else has already worked it out, I'd rather use their code.

- If I don't need to use udev in the initrd, would there be any particular
advantage in doing so?

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed.
Andrew.