List:       evms-devel
Subject:    Re: [Evms-devel] Reg: Making File Systems
From:       Kevin Corry <kevcorry () us ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2004-11-30 14:20:02

Hi Susmitha,

On Monday 29 November 2004 10:38 pm, susmitha wrote:
> I thought, if I send queries personally you people wonn't reply.
> So I tried to send my query to devel list.But I got message like this
> "552 Message size exceeds maximum permitted."
>
> Now I am attaching the recent correct log file to this mail and I will
> try to send to devel list also.
>
> Thanks alot for showing interest.

Getting back to the problem you reported originally with creating JFS and NTFS
filesystems...

Looking through the log file you sent yesterday, this machine does not have
the NTFS utilities installed. Look for the entry in the log with
"NTFS: ntfs_setup:", and you'll see where the NTFS plugin tries to test-run
some of the NTFS utilities, and all attempts return ENOENT errors, which
means it couldn't locate the programs to run them. As I mentioned Friday, if
you want to use EVMS to create NTFS filesystems, make sure you have the
ntfsprogs package installed, which you can find at
http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/.

As for making a JFS filesystem, it definitely seems like something went wrong
when running mkfs.jfs. In the log you can see the messages:

JFS: fsim_mkfs: mkfs.jfs output:
mkfs.jfs version 1.1.4, 30-Oct-2003
The specified disk did not finish formatting.
JFS: fsim_mkfs: mkfs.jfs completed with exit code 255

Have you tried running mkfs.jfs manually? Create the volume using EVMS (it
looks like you were using /dev/evms/hda15). Then exit EVMS and run the
following command:

mkfs.jfs -s 2 /dev/evms/hda15

Save the output from this command and send it to me. If it completes
successfully, then we know there's a problem with EVMS running the tool. If
it doesn't complete successfully, then there might be a problem with the JFS
tools themselves. Once we know whether mkfs.jfs works manually, we'll know
what to investigate next.

--
Kevin Corry
kevcorry@us.ibm.com