List:       evlog-developers
Subject:    Re: [evlog-dev] evlog bug
From:       "Hien Q Nguyen" <nguyhien () us ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2002-11-12 21:11:06

Steve,

Thanks for reporting these bugs and fixed them :-). We will include them in
the next release.

Hien Nguyen

|---------+-------------------------------------------->
|         |           Steve Woodruff                   |
|         |           <sjwoodr@yahoo.com>              |
|         |           Sent by:                         |
|         |           evlog-developers-admin@lists.sour|
|         |           ceforge.net                      |
|         |                                            |
|         |                                            |
|         |           11/12/2002 10:03 AM              |
|         |                                            |
|---------+-------------------------------------------->
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                               |
  |       To:       evlog-developers@lists.sourceforge.net                                        |
  |       cc:                                                                                     |
  |       Subject:  [evlog-dev] evlog bug                                                         |
  |                                                                                               |
  |                                                                                               |
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Hi,

I'm compiling evlog for 2.8.18 on IA64.
I got the kernel patch in no problem.
I had to make one small change for the
user space tools to compile, in evlnotifyd.c:

cc -g -D_EVL_WRITE_DIRECT -I../../include
-I../../../kernel/v2.4.4/include -L/usr/lib
-L../../lib -O evlnotifyd.o serialize.o -L/usr/lib
-L../../lib  ../../lib/libevl.a -lnsl -lfl -lpthread
-o evlnotifyd
evlnotifyd.o: In function `rt_sigqueueinfo':
/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/evlog-1.4.2/user/cmd/evlnotifyd/evlnotifyd.c:56:
undefined reference to `__ia64_syscall'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [evlnotifyd] Error 1

In the file, i see:
_syscall3(int, rt_sigqueueinfo, pid_t, pid, int,
sig_no, siginfo_t *, si)

And later:

if ((ret = rt_sigqueueinfo(req->nfyhdr.pid,
si.si_signo, &si)) != 0 ) {

The problem lies in using _syscallN()...
This is an obsolete interface and the more
standardized syscall() routine can and should be
used instead.  This routine is documented in the
glibc manual...

The fix was to comment out the _syscall3() line
and change the rt_sigqueueinfo() line to read:

... ret = syscall(SYS_rt_sigqueueinfo,
    req->nfyhdr.pid, si.si_signo, &si)) != 0 ) { ...

Then it compiles and runs fine.

Now, one more item -- i submitted a bug report
for this one before i realized what the problem
was.  When i run "slog_fwd" my system becomes
unusable -- every command i run fails with a
"libc.so.6 failed to load" kind of message.  I
now see that /etc/ld.so.preload is used and
that libevlsyslog.c has this line:

if (!(glibc = dlopen("libc.so.6", RTLD_LAZY))) {

My IA64 system does NOT have libc.so.6 -- it has
libc.so.6.1 -- and no link to libc.so.6, so the
system is no good until i get rid of the preload
or make a symlink.  Should the symlink be on the
system or should the evlog install scripts make
sure that libc.so.6 exists before adding the
dependency in ld.so.preload ??

Thanks!

/steve

=====