List:       ethereal-users
Subject:    Re: [Ethereal-users] define output in tethereal
From:       Guy Harris <gharris () sonic ! net>
Date:       2005-10-30 23:25:40

Niklas Abrahamsson (KI/EAB) wrote:
> Is there a reason why you can't define the output based on what fields you want?

Because nobody's written and contributed code to do exactly that.
(There is an option that's similar, "-z proto,colinfo"; see below.)

> With the filters already in place it seems like it shouldn't really be a problem.
>
> like the -R command except that instead of filtering out all the
> packets the packets and getting an output of the whole packets that
> corresponds to the filtering. with some usage like: -Display
> "frame.pkt_len"

"-Display" wouldn't work all that well, at least as long as we're using
"getopt()", as that's equivalent to "-D -i -s -p -l -a -y".  It wouldn't
even work well with "getopt_long()", although "--display" would work in
that case.  (Switching to "getopt_long()" might be a Good Thing, as
UN*X's tradition of one-letter options only started getting a bit old
and tired a while ago.)

> which would then give you a list of only the packet
> lengths of all the packets in a dump-file that pass the additional
> filtering.

That works for "frame.pkt_len", but note that a packet could have more
than one instance of a given packet; what should it do if there's more
than one?

Note that you *can* do

	-z proto,colinfo,frame.pkt_len,frame.pkt_len

without "-V" to *add* the value of "frame.pkt_len" to the summary
output.  If there's more than one instance of a given field, it'll show
all of them.