List:       ethereal-users
Subject:    Re: [Ethereal-users] Ethereal for Mac OS X
From:       Guy Harris <gharris () sonic ! net>
Date:       2005-10-30 23:13:10

Diganta Saha wrote:
> Will you be able to have a Ethereal version that a downloadable  binary
> from
> your website as a *.dmg or OS X bundled application without using  Fink
> or DarwinPort?

If somebody contributes

	1) a Mac (or enough money for a Mac) for the build farm

and

	2) a set of instructions for packaging up Ethereal *AND ALL THE
LIBRARIES IT NEEDS FROM GLib and GTK+* into an OS X package

to us, we would probably be able to do that.  (If somebody contributes
to us the latter, somebody else might contribute the former.)

Note that the package includes a command-line application (Tethereal),
so the package would probably have to be built with GLib, at least, and
all the plugins and files that come with Ethereal installed in a
standard place such as /usr/local/lib (although that might run the risk
of overwriting one the user has already installed).

Note also the the resulting Ethereal would still require X11.