List:       enlightenment-users
Subject:    Re: [e-users] Virtual Desktops
From:       David Raleigh Arnold <dra () openguitar ! com>
Date:       2005-02-13 19:01:09

On Sunday 13 February 2005 05:02 am, Oded Arbel wrote:
> On Sunday, 13 ?February 2005 05:30, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> > On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 09:53:21 -0600 Phusion <phusion2k@gmail.com>
>
> babbled:
> > > I was wondering if other X-Window managers have virtual desktops
> > > like enlightenment does? I like the fact that I can move my mouse
> > > to the left or right and into another desktop. Some window
> > > managers have multiple desktops, but you have to click in the
> > > bottom corner to go to that desktop instead of moving the mouse
> > > to the left or right. So are there any other window managers that
> > > do virtual desktops like enlightenment in that sense?
> >
> > yes. fvwm like 10+ years ago was doing the mouse to edge to flip to
> > a new desktop trick. i can tell you why they dont do it today. it's
> > confusing to new/novice users and amazingly confusing. sure it's
> > great for power users.
>
> Most "noob" oriented window managers have this feature but it is
> disabled by default. KDE at least has a feature that edge flipping
> (they call it "Active Borders") is enabled only when dragging
> windows,

In kde 3.3.2 there is also "always enabled", and it works fine.  kde
not guilty.  It's gnome.

AFAIK metacity doesn't do edge-flipping so to get it with gnome you
start enlightenment when in gnome and save-configuration when you
leave gnome.  I agree that they've lost their minds.

> but this is too disabled by default and only accesible under
> an "Advanced" section of the configuration.

It's all there and easily accessable, unless they've taken it out
since 3.3.2.  The trick is to know what "active border" means.  daveA

--
The only technical exercises for guitar which are worthy of the
instrument consist in "Dynamic Guitar Technique".  I promise miracles.