List:       e-smith-devinfo
Subject:    Re: [e-smith-devinfo] dyndns.org update behind NAT?
From:       Rasjid Wilcox <rasjidw () openminddev ! net>
Date:       2003-10-29 10:33:21

On Wednesday 29 October 2003 04:10, Charlie Brady wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Oct 2003, Gordon Rowell wrote:
> > The SME server is unlikely to ever see an ip-change event - it's
> > external address will be effectively static.
>
> True, so neither the original proposal nor my much simpler one would work.
>
> [Did I ever mention that external NAT boxes are almost always more trouble
> than they're worth? Search the boards for problems if you don't believe
> me.]

A solution that does work, which I used for several years, is

# ping -R -c1 a.machine.at.your.isp | head -n 5 | tail -n 1

You have to adjust the head -n N to some N that depends on exactly your setup.

It is best to ping the server at your isp that is the known gateway for the IP
block you get allocated a dynamic IP address from, since the -R option can
only record the ip addresses for 9 hops.

Also, your ISP may have configured their servers to ignore the RECORD_ROUTE
option, in which case you are out of luck, but I've personally not seen that
yet.  It has always worked for me.

Cheers,

Rasjid.

--