List:       dri-devel
Subject:    [Dri-devel] 3dfx v3 questions..
From:       John Clemens <john () deater ! net>
Date:       2002-07-31 18:50:18

Hi,

My voodoo3 3500 was displaying artifacs that I'm guessing come from heat,
so I decided since i had the specs to write a simple little utility that
would change the core/mem GFX clock so that I could underclock my chip to
give off less heat. (the artifacts were in text mode when switching out of
graphics mode (x11).. seemingly memory corruption, and my new place
doesn't have air conditioning.)

Anyway, I've written one and it works.  What I'm wondering is: what speeds
are a safe range to run the core at? I'm not interested in overclocking,
but would -underclocking- effect stability? I'm currently running at
147Mhz (as opposed to the default 183) and don't see a problem, but i
thought i'd ask the 3dfx guru's to see what they thought.

Secondly, do I need to wait for the 3D engine to be idle before I change
the value of pllCtrl1?  It doesn't say so in the specs, but just in case..

Finally, is there any problem with mmap'ing the mmio region of a card by
opening /dev/mem while the server also has the card mmap'd? I opened
/dev/mem with O_SYNC and MAP_SHARED and it seems to work.. but any
pitfalls? (or better yet, any better ways?)

thanks, hope this is the right list.
please CC replies.
john.c

--