List:       dmca-discuss
Subject:    [DMCA_Discuss] Stephen.Middlebrook@FMS.TREAS.GOV: [CYBERIA] Baldo comic strip chastised for DMCA vio
From:       "Jon O." <jono () networkcommand ! com>
Date:       2002-09-25 21:41:17

----- Forwarded message from "Stephen T. Middlebrook" <Stephen.Middlebrook@FMS.TREAS.GOV> -----

Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 17:32:18 -0400
From: "Stephen T. Middlebrook" <Stephen.Middlebrook@FMS.TREAS.GOV>
Subject: [CYBERIA] Baldo comic strip chastised for DMCA violations
To: CYBERIA-L@LISTSERV.AOL.COM

The attached appeared on the Letters page of the Sept. 21, 2002 Washington
Post.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A47013-2002Sep21.html

The comic strip at issue can be viewed at
http://www.uclick.com/client/wpc/ba/2002/09/15/index.html

stm

Baldo's Bad

In the third frame of the Sept. 15 "Baldo" comic strip, the Baldo character
states, "I rewired your personal CD player so it can play DVDs on your TV,
too." To do this, Baldo must have broken the CSS (Content Scramble System)
encryption code used for DVDs, a criminal offense under Section 1201 of the
Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Perhaps subsequent strips will depict the
efforts of the recording industry and the U.S. government to bring Baldo to
justice; if not, a valuable opportunity to teach our children (and other
readers of the strip) about copyright law will have been missed.

-- Thomas W. Krause

----- End forwarded message -----