List:       distcc
Subject:    Re: [distcc] DistCC questions, Cygwin Environnement
From:       "Fergus Henderson" <fergus () google ! com>
Date:       2008-03-15 1:01:36

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 5:00 PM, Alexandre Genereux <
Alexandre.Genereux@labtronix.biz> wrote:

> I have a couple question about the distcc configuration.
>
> Situation: We are trying to find a way that we can use developpers PC's to
> compile some projects with DistCC. We have to be able to run DistCC with
> minimal effect on the developpement environnement (if possible).
>
> 1- Is it possible to limit how much CPU % can be use by DistCC clients?
>  -> We want to be able to use a small portion of the cpu from each
> machine,
> thus trying to lower the impact on the devellopper using the machine while
> compilation is requested

Running distccd under "nice" is probably the answer under Unix.
Don't know if that works on Cygwin.

2- Is there any way to configure the timeout between the call sent to see if
> a computer can compile a file and the response from it if it cannot do it?
>  -> Trying to limit the timeout to the smallest interval so compilation
> are
> rapidly tranferred to another computer if one of the host computer is not
> available

If you use "lsdistcc", there are various timeout options - see "lsdistcc
--help".

3- Is there any way to make the list of host computer without preference for
> the first computer in it?

Yes, there's the "--randomize" option in DISTCC_HOSTS specification.

--
Fergus Henderson <fergus@google.com>