List:       dhcp-server
Subject:    Re: how can client  understant in  which pool ?(  Same network different
From:       Bruce Hudson <Bruce.Hudson () Dal ! Ca>
Date:       2005-07-18 15:02:44

   *** From dhcp-server -- To unsubscribe, see the end of this message. ***

> Hi, I have a question, my company include two depertmant , the first one
> is sales, and other one develeopment. I want to define different pool in
> my dhcp server, but same network. First group lease time must different
> other group.  in this case when groups opened their computer, how can be
> understant which groub which pool.  how is DHCP Server decide this??

    That is a question that really only you can answer. What is different
about the requests that you the server can use to differentiate between
the two groups of users?

    In the basic mode of operations, you have the gateway address which
will be the same for a given network and you have the MAC address or client
identifier. The only way to determine which group a given client is in
would be to configure in all of the known addresses and assign each to the
appropriate group. Then figure out what to do with requests from unknown
clients. You can use either classes and pools or fixed host declarations.
The lease time can be set in either context.

    If you have enough control over the clients, the server can use almost
any field to determine which group a client is in.
--
Bruce A. Hudson				| Bruce.Hudson@Dal.CA
UCIS, Networks and Systems		|