List:       dhcp-client
Subject:    Re: How to force a renew
From:       Nominum Support <Greg.Kulosa () nominum ! com>
Date:       2000-10-16 18:02:06

   *** From dhcp-client -- To unsubscribe, see the end of this message. ***

> Hi there,
>
> I would like to know how to force the renew of a lease before the end.
> This is to be able to get a new lease when my provider decides to switch
>
> the dhcp servers to force the change of ips : i have no network
> connection until the end of the actual lease. The only way if found to
> prevent that is make a script that check for the network connection and
> if it's down, it tries to renew the lease (hoping that it's only a dhcp
> problem...)

If you are running dhclient, you can always just kill the process and
then start a new one.  That will make it try to get a new address.

We are working on getting "dhclient -r" to work.  This would RELEASE
the old address.  I still need to update the client scripts, though.
Coming soon to a release near you.

--
Greg A. Kulosa          | "The avalanche has already started, it is too
Consulting Engineer     |  late for the pebbles to vote." - Ambassador Kosh