List:       dhcp-client
Subject:    can't get address
From:       "S.Toms" <tomas () primenet ! com>
Date:       2000-10-16 4:13:23

   *** From dhcp-client -- To unsubscribe, see the end of this message. ***

  I'm not positive which is the culprit, the ethernet card or the
dhcp-client but I'm posting to see if anyone has come across anything
similar to this at all. The situation is as follows.
  I have GTE/Verizon (groan, I know) anyway, it's not all that bad but
recently, last week, they had an outage in my area (what else is new,
right?). My computer has both a built-in card eth1, using the pcnet32
module with fixed IP on the internal network and a linksys v2.x PCI card,
eth0 using the tulip module on the external network via DHCP-client.
  After the outage was fixed, I was still unable to get a address on eth0,
the linksys card, restarting the network, restarting the computer, pulling
the card and reseating it were in-effective. By switching the call outs in
the modules.conf file
  alias eth0 tulip	-> to eth1
  alias eth1 pcnet32	-> to eth0

as well as switching the ethernet cables from one card to the other,
restarting the computer and the pcnet32 card was able to grab the
external IP fine, the internal worked no problem on the linksys
card. Switching everything back ot the original network and the linksys
card was able to get the external address without a problem now.
  But what was causing it I don't know, the only thing I can tell is by
forcing the IP's to different cards reset something either on the cards or
in the system which enabled them to correctly grab/accept the correct IP
addresses.
  At this time everything is working correctly but I have no idea where
the culprit lies, typing dhclient eth0 during the problem just resulted in
it timing out and going to sleep. Typing it now grabs the address within
the first or second try like it did up until the problem occured.

--
        S.Toms - tomas@primenet.com - www.primenet.com/~tomas
                   SuSE Linux v7.0+ - Kernel 2.2.17

The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to
choose from.
		-- Andrew S. Tanenbaum