List:       dhcp-client
Subject:    Re: pseudo interfaces and scripts
From:       Ted Lemon <Ted_Lemon () isc ! org>
Date:       1999-07-30 15:21:48

   *** From dhcp-client -- To unsubscribe, see the end of this message. ***

> It seems to me as if the dhclient-script isn't run for the
> initialization of pseudo interfaces.

The script is only called once for PREINIT on each interface, yes.
However, it is called for all the other states for each primary
interface state machine and each pseudo-interface.   Each interface
structure has one or more "client" structures hanging from it; the
first "client" structure is the primary interface state machine, and
each subsequent structure is a pseudo-interface state machine.

> If that is the case, is the pseudo interface configuration something
> that is only written into the leases files,

Nope!   :')

> and further, when is
> that done?

It is written to the lease file whenever a new DHCPACK for the address
is received.

> I need to be able to extract the ip-address of the pseudo interface,
> and I was hoping to be able to do that in the dhclient-script...

You can.   I would suggest specifying a different dhclient-script for
your pseudo-interface.   This script should do the appropriate thing
to configure the address to some interface whenever it is called with
the BOUND, RENEW, REBIND and REBOOT reasons, and to stop using the
address whenever it is called with the EXPIRE, FAIL or TIMEOUT
reasons.

			       _MelloN_