List:       dhcp-client
Subject:    Re: a couple of issues
From:       Ted Lemon <Ted.Lemon () nominum ! com>
Date:       2003-02-09 7:03:27

   *** From dhcp-client -- To unsubscribe, see the end of this message. ***

> The initial discover, request, ack sequence works fine, then my client
> gets to the go_daemon function and is unable to fork.  I worked around
> it,
> but I'd like to know--first of all, why is it trying to become a
> daemon at
> this point in its life and,

The idea is that it "exits" after it's configured the network
interface, so you can put it in the startup sequence and be sure either
that it's gotten an IP address or that it's not going to get one before
you start any network daemons.

> secondly, any ideas as to why this isn't
> working?

Low memory?   Low process limits?   Dunno.

> I appear to be getting multiple ACK messages for each REQUEST that my
> client sends; anybody care to enlighten me about this?

Perfectly normal, and the client should have no trouble dealing with
this.   If you think one of the servers is illegitimate, you can use
the reject statement to ignore messages from that server.