List:       debian-user
Subject:    Re: partition reporting full, but not
From:       <tomas () tuxteam ! de>
Date:       2024-02-21 5:43:24

On Wed, Feb 21, 2024 at 12:21:05PM +1100, Keith Bainbridge wrote:

> On 21/2/24 10:47, Felix Miata wrote:
> > I didn't think so, which begs the question why OP Keith is using it. :p
> > --
>
> I read somewhere about 2 years ago,  that it automagically de-duped data
> when it detected I was copying the same file to different directories [...]

I think the Wikipedia [1] is a good ref, at least at the level we are
discussing.

Deduplication is mentioned there requiring userspace tools, so it seems
you'll have to run a process (as a daemon, from cron, whatever) to achieve
that.

It also mentions "reflinks", which is a kind of COW file copy (not to be
confused with a hardlink, which all civilised file systems have).

Cheers
[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Btrfs#List_of_features