List:       debian-user
Subject:    Re: partition reporting full, but not
From:       Keith Bainbridge <keithrbau () gmail ! com>
Date:       2024-02-21 1:21:05

On 21/2/24 10:47, Felix Miata wrote:
> I didn't think so, which begs the question why OP Keith is using it. :p
> --

I read somewhere about 2 years ago,  that it automagically de-duped data
when it detected I was copying the same file to different directories.
It's not deliberate, but I have often found copies of my files amongst
files I have backed up for my wife (where I have put copies of my
important stuff occasionally.    And more common if I rsync a usb to a
new destination - the usb I use at a volunteer job with portable apps on
a foreign PC.   I found what I think was that article the other week;
and it now talks about a manual process to de-dupe the data. I don't
believe I could have skipped the most important paragraph in the
article.     I prefer rdfind -makehardlinks.    Writing to btrfs feels
quicker than ext4

But why use btrfs on a system partition. I like to try new stuff. Like I
get a nagging thought of trying arch linux regularly. I resist
mostly......   I should use sid as my daily driver, but I'm not good at
asking for help; and I get the feeling that some people here would want
to tell me something like 'I made my bed, lay in it.'

  So I make do with using developer versions of firefox & thunderbird
and beta libreOffice (24.02 I think) They are on a separate partition
from my system.

--
All the best

Keith Bainbridge