List:       debian-user
Subject:    Re: A hypervisor for a headless server?
From:       Stanislav Vlasov <stanislav.v.v () gmail ! com>
Date:       2023-06-02 7:51:21

пт, 2 июн. 2023 г. в 12:38, Victor Sudakov <vas@sibptus.ru>:

> > > Running "apt install qemu-kvm" on a Debian 11 AWS EC2 instance which has
> > > never had any X-Window or desktop environment in its entire life,
> > > tries to install qemu-system-gui, adwaita-icon-theme, libgtk-3-common
> > > and a lot of similar stuff.
> >
> > Even with `--no-install-recommends`?
> > qemu-system-x86 package _recommends_ qemu-system-gui, but you may
> > install without.
>
> But Andy Smith wrote recently that "installing without recommends is not a supported use
> case" and I believe him.

It may be unsupported, but it work for me and my servers and I did not
break any system with it.
I don't use libvirt/virtmanager (hosting control panel was written
before virtmanager in debian), but qemu/kvm work fine without gui
wrappers with console on vnc.

> On the other hand, https://wiki.debian.org/KVM#Installation advises it:
>
> "When installing on a server, you can add the --no-install-recommends
> apt option, to prevent the installation of extraneous graphical
> packages"
>
> The truth is definitly out there somewhere.

I think Debian's wiki and Debian's official manuals
(https://www.debian.org/doc/user-manuals) are enough in this case.
In the installation guide you can see how to install without recommends.

--
Stanislav