List:       darcs-users
Subject:    Re: [darcs-users] Accessing old versions
From:       Kevin Smith <yarcs () qualitycode ! com>
Date:       2004-03-13 18:22:28

David Roundy wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 12:08:12AM -0800, Matt Ettus wrote:
>>I can't seem to find a darcs command to move my working copy to an older
>>revision or tag.  Something like "cvs update -r OLD_TAGNAME" Am I totally
>>blind? dumb?
>
> I'm not entirely certain what you want to do here.  Do you want to go from
> an older version to a less old version, or to go from a new version to an
> old version? The former can be accomplished with "darcs pull --tag-name
> OLD_TAGNAME".

I interpreted the question as "Given a repo, how can I get a working
directory that represents an older version (tag) from that repo."

The way I would do that is to leave the existing repo alone, and create
a new copy of it using "get" with --tag-name.

It's a big mental shift from the CVS model, because in darcs the working
directory is directly linked to the repo. You (effectively) can't
repoint your working directory to different tags of the repo, as you can
do with CVS. But you can create a new repo that is a subset (older tag)
of the main/original/official repo.

I hope this reduces confusion, rather than increasing it!

Kevin