List:       cyrus-sasl
Subject:    Re: More NTLM headaches with OE6
From:       "Jay Levitt" <jay-cyrus () shopwatch ! org>
Date:       2003-02-27 17:45:34

> From an administrator's stand-point i'm from the school that you should
> never stay logged in as administrator on a windows machine.

From an administrator's standpoint I agree, but from a practical
standpoint - I'm constantly installing software and drivers, much of which
requires administrator access - I have to be realistic.  I'm also not
convinced that, given Windows's lax interprocess protection, logging on as
Administrator actually reduces security.

>  As Administrator create the user jay and then add it to the local
> administrators group

Yep, I thought about doing that, but then I'd also have to go change
ownership of all the files, no?  Also, doesn't that leave me with exactly
the same (theoretical) security holes that running as Administrator does?

I will probably just end up using SSL, which will let me use AUTH LOGIN.

Jay