List:       cups
Subject:    Re: [cups.general] CUPS - setup and usage?
From:       "H. Blischke" <HelgeBlischke () web ! de>
Date:       2011-01-28 21:40:55

As for your PDF which has the needed font(s) not embedded, I need the PDF (or an \
equivalent one) to do some specific tests. You said the pdf2ps utility produced a \
printable PostScript whereas the gs filter invoked by the pdftops filter failed (your \
log file states, among others, "last OD error: 2", which means "no such file or \
directory"). Looking into the sources (cups 1.4.6) showed that the options gs is \
called with slightly differs between pdf2ps (which is a shell script around \
Ghostscript) and how gs is called from pdftops; I need to try out if these \
differences in the command line options really account for the different output or if \
the failing call merely does not find the needed font(s).

As for the text file which prints garbage, the reason probably is that the font \
MonospaceBold (which is called by the textops filter) does not provide the needed \
                chinese script. But this can be settled by modifying the file
/usr/share/cups/charsets/utf-8 (specifying the right font for the chinese unicode \
range) and inserting the respective font into /usr/share/cups/fonts. But, due to the \
design of the texttops filter, the font must be a plain Type1 font, so this is a bit \
tricky.

Last but not least, as your system seems to have the needed font(s) installed, if you \
could send me those, it may be that I could make the necessary modifications.

Helge