List:       crux
Subject:    Pre interface dameons
From:       Erlend Bergsås Mikkelsen <howl () online ! no>
Date:       2002-07-31 19:21:01

Hallo,

this thread has been 'requested' before as well, but I don't think
it got as much replies as it needs (it got about zero from the ones
that matter).

It should be possible to run daemons before the interfaces are initiated,
and close them after the interfaces are shut down.

This would be very nice for people getting dynamic IPs, and for
people using the pcmciatools (which by the way should be added to the
opt repository considering it's a pain transfering these tools to the
laptop if one don't have network).

An idea I have for doing this would be adding another array to the
rc.conf. I have no idea what the name would be (I've been tasting on
several names, but none of them taste well), but the function would
be something like this:

In rc.conf there's two arrays, the dameons and the basic_daemons.
THe basic_daemons are started (in the very same manner the standard
daemons are started) before the ifconfig_up array is processed,
and then the daemons are started in the standard way.

And when shutting the compter down (or changing to runlevel 1),
they are simply processed in the other 'direction' (just like now).
The deamons are first stopped, then the ifconfig_down array is processed,
and then basic_daemons are stopped.

This is a very simple, but very powerful feature that would make
Crux even better :)

I hope someone other than me thinks this is a good idea.

Erlend