List:       crux
Subject:    Re: wishlist
From:       Markus Ackermann <maol () symlink ! ch>
Date:       2002-06-30 21:07:07

On Sun 30.06.2002,  0:06:18 +0200, Daniel Mueller said in public:
>1.)
>New file: /etc/rc.boot
>Must run before rc.multi.

How do other distros solve this problem? Do they provide hooks for the tasks
you mentioned? Because I don't remember ever having seen such an rc file
which is executed before rc.multi.

>2.)
>I think it would be a good idea to add more (well known) user in
>/etc/passwd respective /etc/group.
>
>Why ? Some software products shouldn't run as uid root nor nobody. It
>would be very useful for packagers. (and +4k size does not hurt ;)

Agreed somehow. It doesn't hurt, and makes an admins life easier. OTH most
of the users will never need more than two of the additional user:groups
entries, and some of the suggestions are almost never used - who runs an
ircd nowadays? (ok, I *do* have some friends with an IRC network, but...)
So I'd add some of the user:groups like the ones for httpd, nfs.
Another thing are the groups used to give rights on local devices like
audio, video. This depends on how you solve the problem, and I don't solve
it with additional groups. But I guess it's nice to have them anyway.

>3.)
>Okay.. crux hasn't a System-V style init concept, well - but I don't
>like the if/elif/fi thingie:
>"case" looks nice and more clearly.

This is just about the look... I'll use whatever Per gives me to use.

>A new section called "restart" would be nice too.

I think CRUX's init system is simple on purpose. The only two actions you
can choose to do is starting up or shutting down. You wanting a restart
target implies that you switch between different multi runlevels...

I think that's not so bad an idea after all, there should be a runlevel for
xdm, and if there's one having a restart target makes sense too.

>4.)
>/etc/devfsd.conf
>Some entries of my current devfsd.conf:
[snipped]
>One of the most frequently asked question in #crux is: After restarting
>the system all my settings in /dev are lost - Why ?

Are you asking Per to add this FAQ to his docs, or to add your changes to
the default devfsd.conf, or both?

Markus.