List:       crux
Subject:    Re: Would like new functionality in ports.
From:       Johannes Winkelmann <jw () tks6 ! net>
Date:       2002-06-24 7:22:25

Hi,

On Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 23:10:05 +0200, Magnus Boden wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Below is a patch to the ports command.
[allow multiple cvs sources for ports]

I think this would be great. This would also simplify updating the
unofficial pool (when cvs based), and allow everyone to create a
repository for public use with ports which are too specific for
unofficial.
This would also be great to provide a customized crux installation:
install crux, then add one of the additional repositories, ports -u,
install all additional packages, and there is your ready-to-use devel
machine, or office-server, or whatever. All without polluting the nice
crux base system we all like so much.

Sidenote 1: should we then have some naming conventions for the
directories in /usr/ports added by the additional repositories, so we're
not going to have conflicts when we start sharing repositories?

Sidenote 2: prt-get currently supports configuration of ports
directories, so you could specify your private port dir first, and then:
$ ports -u
$ prt-get install mutt
and it would automatically choose the port from you repository (if
configured correctly). prt-get update is on my TODO list, should be in
place this week :-) </shameless-plug>

Magnus: in ports -d, won't I get duplicate entries for installed ports
in both 'contrib' and 'private-jw', like
Collection        Name       Port         Installed
contrib           mutt       1.4-1        1.4-jw1
private-jw        mutt       1.4-jw2      1.4-jw1
?

Regards, Johannes
--
Johannes Winkelmann         mailto:jw@tks6.net