List:       crux
Subject:    Re: Errors during Compilation
From:       Per_Lidén <per () fukt ! bth ! se>
Date:       2002-06-15 12:53:11

On Sat, 15 Jun 2002, TobbY Nowack wrote:

> When I build some ports last days I had probles with some dependencies.
> It would be nice when the pkgmk tool would directly stop if an error acours.
>
> This makes ist easier to find unsolved dependencies during configuer or
> perhaps errors during compilation.

The problem is that pkgmk doesn't have control over what build() does and
can not intercept errors from ./configure or any other program. A solution
often(?) used by other packagers using e.g. RPM is to do "<command> &&
return 1", i.e. stop building if the command in question didn't exit with
a successful exit code. This approach can be used in Pkgfiles as well, but
I don't promote it. In fact I don't like it at all since it doesn't
improve the Pkgfile in anyway (just makes it cluttered and harder to
read). It could however make the build output a bit shorter in case of
build failure.

I personally haven't found this to be a problem. Maybe it's because my
xterms are set to keep a history of 2500 lines (i.e. in most cases I can
just scroll back to see what the problem was), and when I build xfree,
mozilla, glibc and other big packages I always do "pkgmk &> log".

/Per