List:       crux
Subject:    Re: Keeping changes to Pkgfiles
From:       Per_Lidén <per () fukt ! bth ! se>
Date:       2002-05-15 21:46:00

On Wed, 15 May 2002, Florian Weber wrote:

> On Wednesday 15 May 2002 23:09, Per Lidén wrote:
> > The approach I personally like best (so far) is to simply make it possible
> > to have two Pkgfiles: the original Pkgfile and another called
> > Pkgfile.personal or something. pkgmk would source Pkgfile as usual and
> > then source the Pkgfile.personal as well. The Pkgfile.personal only
> > contains the variables and/or function you want to override.
>
> I think it would make sense to put all local changes (=="Pkgfile.personal"
> into a separate hierarchy (e.g. "local"):
>
> /usr/ports
>   - base
>      * foolib
>      * barlib
>   - opt
>   - contrib
>   - local
>      - base
>          * foolib
>          * barlib
>      - opt
>      - contrib
>
> This way it would be much easier to make backups of only the local changes
> (which is all that is needed)

You have a point there about the backup (even though you could do
something like "tar czvf bak.tar.gz `find /usr/ports/ -name
Pkgfile.personal`" to make a backup of all your personal stuff).

You mean that if I for example build something in /usr/ports/base/xyz,
pkgmk would read the Pkgfile.personal from /usr/ports/local/base/xyz? That
would work, it would however also make pkgmk dependent on the /usr/ports
directory structure. I.e. Pkgfile.personal would not work if you want to
use it on some other package that is outside of the ports tree. E.g. you
download port X from CLC and place it in ~/myports/.

regards,
Per