List:       computerguys-l
Subject:    Re: headers
From:       Vicky Staubly <vicky () STEEDS ! COM>
Date:       2002-03-28 2:59:47

On Wed, 27 Mar 2002, Joe Parker wrote:
> Do you have a link? I'd hate to think they're pushing pornography to me in
> my headers without me knowing about it!

An online copy of the article Chris is referencing is at:
        http://www.computeruser.com/articles/2103,3,5,1,0301,02.html
There are several separate issues in the article, mentioned by Chris:

1) AOL's marketing of "free trials" which are hard to end is nasty.
2) A large percentage of spam contains forged headers, which don't
   allow one to complain to the spammer, or the spammer's ISP.
3) A large percentage of spam (which probably is of the variety with
   forged headers) contains ads for (and possibly pictures from)
   pornographic web sites. So, you get an email with pornographic
   pictures, and lewd text.

To date, I'm not aware of any email (spam or otherwise) which
contains pornography in the headers themselves, which are simply
text manipulated by email servers and clients. I suppose you
could have lewd text in the subject line.

--
Vicky Staubly        http://www.steeds.com/vicky/         vicky@steeds.com