List:       computerguys-l
Subject:    Re: Installed Win 98...now can't read cd-r disks
From:       Dwight C Washington <dc.washington () ZZAPP ! ORG>
Date:       2001-12-28 2:14:07

I sent my problem to HP and this is the solution they gave me.....it
worked...

Hello Dwight,

Thank you for contacting HP's Customer Care e-mail support.

I understand that your CD Writer drive cannot read CD-R discs written
previously on the drive.

After installing the HP CD-Writer drive, system lock-ups, Device Not
Accessible errors, and slow performance issues can occur when trying to
read from the drive.

These issues are usually related to the system trying to use the direct
memory access (DMA) method to communicate with the drive.  Use the
steps below to disable DMA.  In some cases it may also be necessary to
disable DMA on the CD-ROM drive to resolve the issue.

1.   Go to Start, Settings, Control Panel and double-click the System
     icon.  Select the Device Manager tab in the System Properties
     window and double-click CD-ROM.
2.   Double-click the CD-Writer drive, go to the Settings tab and
     verify that Disconnect and Auto Insert Notification are the only
     options selected.
3.   If the DMA option check box is checked, uncheck it and restart the
     system for the change to take effect.
4.   Finally, go back into the Device Manager after rebooting and
     verify that the DMA option remains unchecked.

     Note: On some systems it is possible that the DMA check box will
           not be present.  If this is the case, the system is most
           likely using a third-party hard disk controller driver.
           Examples of third-party drivers include Intel, VIA, SIS,
           ETEQ, and ALI.  In the Device Manager, double-click the hard
           disk controller entry to verify if a third-party driver is
           installed.  These issues are often resolved by updating
           out-of-date third-party hard disk controller drivers.
           Contact the system manufacturer for additional help with
           updating these drivers.

If the DMA mode remains enabled after rebooting, it might be necessary
to configure the HP CD-Writer as the master device on the secondary
controller.

1.   Connect the HP CD-Writer Plus Drive to the Secondary IDE
     controller using the cable that is included with the drive, and
     set it to master.
2.   If using another CD-ROM drive, set it to slave.
3.   Be sure the drives are jumpered properly.
4.   Go into the system BIOS and Advanced settings.
5.   Try changing the IDE configuration.
6.   Change the Secondary master definition from Auto to CD-ROM.  This
     should allow defining the mode.
7.   Change the mode from Fast PIO mode 3 with bus mastering to Fast
     PIO mode 3 without bus mastering.
8.   Save the settings and restart the computer.  DMA should now be
     disabled for the HP CD-Writer.

If the issue persists, please respond with the exact error message and
also please respond if the CD-R is readable on other drives.

If you need further assistance, please reply to this message.  You may
also find technical and troubleshooting information along with software
updates, on our HP Customer Care Web site at:

http://www.hp.com/support/storage

Regards,
Alex
HP Customer Solutions Team

* Our advice is strictly limited to the question(s) asked and is
  based on the information provided to us.  Problems and solutions
  may depend on the nature of your system environment and various
  other parameters that are unknown to HP; therefore, HP cannot assume
  any responsibility or liability.  Please be advised that technical
  information changes as new data becomes available, therefore, HP
  recommends that you regularly check our Customer Care Web site for
  possible updates at:

  http://www.hp.com/go/support

  HP shall not be liable for any direct, indirect, special, incidental
  or consequential damages in connection with the use of this
  information.

Original Message Follows:
-------------------------

webform_submit_time : Wed Dec 26 2001 13:22:58
webform_url : http://contact.support.hp.com/email/cdwriter/cpss8200i
remote_host : atwnt334.external.hp.com
language : English [en]
template : CDWRITER
product_name : hp cd-writer plus 8200i
first_name : Dwight
last_name : Washington
email_address : dc.washington@zzapp.org
phone_number : 73-338-0902
country : United States of America [US]
cd_type : Vervbatim
email_subject : Can't read CD-R disks
error_message : drive not available
operating_system : Microsoft Windows 98
other_operating_system :
problem_description : I created some back up data CD's using my HP 8200i
and the Adaptec software that was bundled with it.  My computer was
experiencing some problems and that is why I  was doing the back up.  I
was using the drag and drop method.  Before I could complete the tasks
(this was after saving info on several CD's) the computer crashed and I
had to reformat my C drive.  I upgraded to Windows 98.  (My computer is
a Cyrix 200m with 64mg RAM and 6 gig HD)  Once I got all my software
reloaded I tried to view the back up CD's.  After taking a very long
time attempting to read I would get an error stating the drive was not
working.  This was strange since I used the drive to install all my
software.  I tried uninstalling the software and deleting the device and
allowing windows to re-find the drive.  But the results are the same.  I
am able to read CD-RW disks I made on the drive when I had windows 95
and any commercial disks...but not able to read the ones I made that are
CD-R disks.