List:       computerguys-l
Subject:    Cable TV signal strength (was: DSL or Cable?)
From:       "Hale, Darrell R." <Darrell.Hale () HONEYWELL-TSI ! COM>
Date:       2001-01-30 17:47:50

> Just so you know, my issues for tech support are related to
> the fact that
> there are seven tv's in the house with cable and when they
> added the extra
> tv, the signal quality diminished just enough to cut the
> excellent internet
> service I have had for over five year.

This is fixed by putting an active amplifier in the system.

The cable modem feed should enter the premise and run through a non-equal
tap, one port to feed the Cable modem, and the other to feed the TVs. In
your case the amplifier would be placed after the 2 way tap and prior to all
of those TVs. This is necessary as the Cable modem cannot communicate
through the amplifier, but the TVs don't have to. This will also help
isolate noise, etc. from the TV runs from going back towards the cable
modem.

The TV folks probably will give you a bunch of BS about how the amplifier is
not necessary as "they do it all of the time" in places like apartment
building, etc. Usually they are trying to save a few bucks on the amplifier.
You have the option of buying one at radio shack for about $30 and doing it
yourself.

We were building a control room facility that required many TV feeds
throughout the building to monitor cable TV channels (news, weather, etc.).
The local cable company used multiple 4-way splitters to break the incomming
signal into more than 16 outputs (I think it was something like one main
4-way splitter feeding four additional 4-way splitters, which then may or
may not have been further split a thrid time). The end result was video that
could be watched, but was not all that spectacular to do so. The poorer TVs
or longer runs, or weaker quality cables started to make the picture look
washed out and weak. I think they ended up boosting the overall drive level
on the pole equipment to bring up the signal strength into the building.

Darrell

* New email? From OLD address send: CHANGE COMPUTERGUYS-L YourNewAddress
* Need more help? Send mail to: ComputerGuys-L-Request@listserv.aol.com