List:       classiccmp
Subject:    Re: another hidden pdp11
From:       Jonas Otter <jonas () otter ! se>
Date:       2012-03-30 19:07:45

On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 19:57:58 +0100 (BST),  ard@p850ug1.demon.co.uk (Tony
Duell) wrote:
> Which has just suggestesd a totally OT queestion to me. Some cultures
> prohibit the drinking of alcohol. This is normally taken to mean drinks
> containing ethanol. But how do they handle other -OH molecules in foods?
Those cultures, and their rules prohibiting the drinking of alcohol, are
quite old AFAIK. Without knowing any details of their history, it would
seem logical to me to assume that they would not be aware of the
presence of other -OH molecules, so they would have no special rules
about them. I suppose the rules are religious? If so, some of them may
well be reasonable for health reasons, but others would be illogical or
based on misconceptions of physical facts.

/Jonas