List:       ceph-users
Subject:    [ceph-users] Re: High ceph_osd_commit_latency_ms on Toshiba MG07ACA14TE HDDs
From:       Dan van der Ster <dan () vanderster ! com>
Date:       2021-11-04 15:15:48

Thanks Mark.

With the help of the crowd on Telegram, we found that (at least here)
the drive cache needs to be disabled like this:

```
for x in /sys/class/scsi_disk/*/cache_type; do echo 'write through' > $x; done
```

This disables the cache (confirmed afterwards with hdparm) but more
importantly fio --fsync=1 --direct=1 is now giving 400 iops (as
opposed to 80iops, ootb).

And commit_latency_ms drops from 80ms to 3ms :-)

We'll do more testing here but this looks like a magic switch. (we
should consider documenting or automating this to some extent, imho).

Cheers, Dan