List:       calligra-devel
Subject:    Re: next release and release pace in general
From:       Thomas Pfeiffer <colomar () autistici ! org>
Date:       2013-01-27 12:24:03

On Saturday 26 January 2013 09:42:57 Pierre Stirnweiss wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 6:16 PM, Yu=EB Liu <yue.liu@mail.com> wrote:
> > We talked about having a testing branch before commit into master
> > branch last year. We can restrict commit right to master, let the
> > features committed to and tested in testing branch thoroughly. So
> > master will always keep stable.
> =

> I don't think we have to be as extreme as restricting commit rights. We
> have become pretty good at putting up review requests, IMHO. I think we a=
re
> at a fine balance of not putting up every little thing, but also getting
> review on potentially harmful changes.
> I am all in favor of a testing branch is however how do we ensure that it
> gets sufficient testing.

Plasma Active has switched to an "always stable Master, plus not-necessaril=
y-
stable Integration branch" model in our current development cycle ( =

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2013/01/plasma-active-stable-devel-and-
bleeding.html ) for the same reasons it is suggested here.

We suggest to people who want to have new features fast but still need =

stability to use the Master branch/packages, whereas the development team =

itself and some users who volunteered for testing use the Integration =

branch/packages.

Plasma Active currently isn't exactly "stable" even in development images =

using Master, but that is mainly because these images use Master form other =

KDE projects and those are currently causing most of the trouble, which isn=
't =

an issue for Calligra (Calligra users don't have to run Master of all KDE =

software for Calligra Master to work). Our Master/Integration tandem as suc=
h =

seems to work pretty well so far, so I can recommend that.