List:       caldera-users
Subject:    Re: Open Linux Standard Buslogic
From:       Donnie Barnes <djb () redhat ! com>
Date:       1997-09-28 22:00:58

>In my experience, when Buslogic cards are set for Adaptec emulation, it's
>a complete enough emulation that Adaptec drivers (not just Linux, but any
>OS's Adaptec drivers) work just fine with them.
>
>Either they're in emulation mode (use Adaptec drivers) or not (then use
>the native Buslogic drivers). There's nothing wrong with letting Linux
>probe the Buslogic (in compatibility mode) and report it as an Adaptec,
>using appropriate Adaptec drivers.

While this is true, it isn't a good thing to do.  You'll get MUCH
better performance if you use the BusLogic driver on the BusLogic
than using the 1542 driver in compatibility mode.

--Donnie

--
 Donnie Barnes    http://www.redhat.com/~djb    djb@redhat.com   "Bah."
  Challenge Diversity.  Ignore People.  Live Life.  Use Linux.  2003.