List:       busybox
Subject:    Attempting DHCPv6 with external DHCP client
From:       Bryan Evenson <bevenson () melinkcorp ! com>
Date:       2022-10-27 14:52:21

All,

I'm trying to get IPv6 support on my ARM-based Linux box and I'm running into issues \
with DHCPv6.  I can't get an IPv6 address with DHCPv6.  I'm not sure at what point \
the problem is occurring, so I'm starting out confirming that I have everything \
configured correctly for Busybox before going to the next step.

Setup:
ARM-based controller running Linux kernel 5.4.81
Busybox 1.31.1 with the following related networking configuration settings (let me \
know if there are more settings that you would like to know about): \
CONFIG_FEATURE_IPV6 CONFIG_IFUP
CONFIG_IFDOWN
CONFIG_FEATURE_IFUPDOWN_IPV4
CONFIG_FEATURE_IFUPDOWN_IPV6
CONFIG_FEATURE_IFUPDOWN_EXTERNAL_DHCP
CONFIG_IP
CONFIG_FEATURE_IP_ADDRESS
CONFIG_FEATURE_IP_LINK
CONFIG_FEATURE_IP_ROUTE
CONFIG_PING
CONFIG_PING6

I am using ifplugd for link detection and I am using dhcpcd for an external DHCP \
client.

On the other end, I have an Ubuntu 18.04 server setup with isc-dhcp-server.  I have \
one instance setup as a DHCPv4 server and separate instance setup as a DHCPv6 server. \
I've confirmed with a Windows 10 laptop that the isc-dhcp-server can issue IPv4 \
addresses and global IPv6 addresses.

At the moment I have nothing specified in /etc/network/interfaces for IPv6.  I tried \
adding the line:

iface eth0 inet6 dhcp

But then I found out that ifup in Busybox does not support the dhcp option.  However, \
I am still seeing that dhcpcd is attempting to get an IPv6 address.  Do I need to add \
anything to /etc/network/interfaces to support DHCPv6?

When I restart networking, I see the following line:

eth0: soliciting an IPv6 router

but I see no other messages about IPv6 and my system does not get a global IPv6 \
address.  I did confirm that log message comes from dhcpcd, so it has started and is \
attempting to get an IPv6 address.  Is there anything else that needs to be modified \
from ifplugd or ifup so dhcpcd gets called with the correct options?

Thanks,
Bryan