List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: Cross compiling from x86_64 to SPARC
From:       Bernhard Reutner-Fischer <rep.dot.nop () gmail ! com>
Date:       2021-02-07 11:26:00

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Mon, 01 Feb 2021 10:47:34 +0200
Baruch Siach <baruch@tkos.co.il> wrote:

> Hi Rich,
>
> On Mon, Feb 01 2021, Rich Fromm wrote:
> > I have an old ReadyNAS NV+ v1 from Netgear that's having some hardware
> > issues, and I'm trying to retrieve the data off of the disk array. I can
> > boot into a tech support mode, and telnet to the unit, and mount the disk
> > array, and the data appears to be present and okay, as far as I can tell
> > from a cursory glance. But I'm having trouble getting the data copied to
> > some other place.
> >
> > There is a limited version of busybox installed, and I'd have more options
> > if I had a more up to date version. So I would like to compile the latest
> > stable busybox and copy it to the NAS.
> >
> > Is the gist that I first need to build gcc from source (this will be on an
> > Ubuntu x86_64 box), to have a cross compilation capable compiler, then use
> > that compiler to build busybox?
> >
> > If so, how to I figure out precisely what options to pass to `./configure`
> > for `--build`, `--host`, and `--target` ? And what exactly to set
> > `CROSS_COMPILE` to?
>
> Try this minimal Buildroot config:
>
> BR2_sparc=y
> BR2_STATIC_LIBS=y
> BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL=y
>
> You will get a pre-built uClibc toolchain that will build a static
> busybox binary. You should find it under output/target/bin/.
>
> The config is based
> support/config-fragments/autobuild/br-sparc-uclibc.config, with
> BR2_STATIC_LIBS=y added.

As you probably have found out already, this IT3107 seems to be a sparc-v8
("LEON") 32bit non-SMP CPU without an FPU.

So as Baruch suggests, i'd try e.g. buildroot.
On debian you might try to build the required stuff for yourself with
the available gcc-multilib-sparc64-linux-gnu cross-compilers if you
prefer.

HTH,