List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: Tar/gzip Commands: Busybox vs. GNU (error: Invalid magic)
From:       Denys Vlasenko <vda.linux () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2015-03-22 16:22:32

On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 8:34 PM, Chen, Simon (N-DCR SYSTEM HOUSE)
<simon.chen@lmco.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I am working on an embedded OS called YOCTO, which apparently includes
> BusyBox into its build. YOCTO is currently running on a target board, and I
> am trying to integrate an AMD Radeon E8860 GPU into it. This requires
> installation of a driver called "fglrx", otherwise also known as AMD
> Catalyst. The driver installer (which is a .run) uses BusyBox "gzip –cd" and
> "tar" commands to extract an undisclosed internal file, which returned the
> error message "Invalid magic." This does not happen when I try running the
> driver installer on a desktop UBUNTU OS, which uses GNU.

Sounds like a bug in our gzip.

How exactly "gzip –cd" and "tar" are invoked?
I would prefer if you would say something like

"When I do this:

$ cat FILE.gz | gzip –cd | tar xf -

it doesn't work, says "Invalid magic".
With GNU gzip, it works. the FILE is attached."