List:       busybox
Subject:    /dev/fw major not constant (embedded mdev devtmpfs ieee1394)
From:       Paul Chavent <paul.chavent () fnac ! net>
Date:       2010-01-21 20:56:10

Hi.

I'am working on an embedded gnu/linux system that allow to capture an ieee1394 \
stream.

The system is compound of a kernel, a basic initrd \
(libc,libgcc,busybox,libdc1394,...) and my app.

I use the new firewire stack.

As my system is very minimalist, i tought to create the nodes in /dev at the moment \
of building my initrd.

But when i needed to modify my kernel configuration, it has changed the major number \
of /dev/fw*.

It's not really important for the definitive system (it will be freeze), but i wonder \
how to solve this issue for my future works ?

I don't need hotplug, i just need to fill /dev at startup (coldplug). The target is \
an embedded device, so it should be easy to build/configure/install, and lightweight.

For those reasons i don't want to use udev.

I tried mdev (i run mdev -s in my startup script) from busybox. The problem is that \
mdev only look in /sys/class for filling /dev (i have notified their mailing list \
http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/busybox/2010-January/071384.html).

The linux ieee1394 wiki people give me some idea \
                (http://marc.info/?t=126390679500003&r=1&w=2) :
  - maintain a local patch for making the major constant
  - use devtmpfs

I prefer to try devtmpfs, but i would like to have your opinion on how would you do \
for me ?

Thank for your reading.

Paul.