List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: gcc-4.1 vs gcc-4.3 and multiple "tolower"/"toupper" refs
From:       Rob Landley <rob () landley ! net>
Date:       2009-02-27 0:02:07

On Sunday 22 February 2009 06:19:01 Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>    i'm confused ... why should upgrading my toolchain suddenly result
> in the definition of text symbols "tolower" and "toupper" in various
> object files, causing a link error?

Because your toolchain is broken?  (Most likely your header files?)

Do your header files have toupper and tolower declared as inline functions in
the header, without being declared static so it doesn't output assembly
versions of them (just in case somebody takes the address of the function)?

Fire up the gcc man page and look for -fkeep-inline-functions for more info.

I note that building busybox 1.3.2 with the gcc 4.3.2 in Ubuntu 8.10 works
fine for me on x86_64.

Rob