List:       busybox
Subject:    /etc/busybox.conf confusion
From:       "Jan Evert van Grootheest" <Jan-Evert.van.Grootheest () Vialis ! nl>
Date:       2007-04-27 7:06:30

Hi,

The confusion is mine (not bb).

If I have sh not in /etc/busybox.conf and I login as user mysql I get
this:

viking-be# cat /proc/self/status | egrep "id:|Name"
Name:   sh
Tgid:   1192
Pid:    1192
PPid:   1173
TracerPid:      0
Uid:    500     500     500     500
Gid:    500     500     500     500
viking-be# cat /proc/1173/status | egrep "id:|Name"
Name:   sh
Tgid:   1173
Pid:    1173
PPid:   1064
TracerPid:      0
Uid:    500     500     500     500
Gid:    500     500     500     500

Now, when I put sh in the busybox.conf file as using
sh      = xxx 0.0
And login again and try the same this is the result
viking-be# cat /proc/self/status | egrep "id:|Name"
Name:   sh
Tgid:   1206
Pid:    1206
PPid:   1203
TracerPid:      0
Uid:    500     0       0       0
Gid:    500     0       0       0
viking-be# cat /proc/1203/status | egrep "id:|Name"
Name:   sh
Tgid:   1203
Pid:    1203
PPid:   1064
TracerPid:      0
Uid:    500     0       0       0
Gid:    500     0       0       0

I am confused, because I was expecting the same output. I thought that
xxx meant that the applet is a regular executable that doesn't change
effective uid and gid.
But apparently it does?

So can anyone explain this?
Which part of the process do I not understand?
My guess would be that the problem, if at all, is with the starting
shell, because busybox is suid root and bb.conf is read during startup.

This is a login via the bb telnetd (which is, of course, running as
root) and using the bb login (which is xxx in busybox.conf). And it
concerns bb 1.4.1 (with all patches, as far as I know) using glibc 2.3.6
on i386.

Also note the 'Name' of cat. It is 'sh'. I would guess this to be due to
cat being a safe applet.

Many thanks,
Jan Evert

The information contained in this communication is confidential and may be legally \
privileged. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it \
is addressed and others authorised to receive it. If you are not the intended \
recipient you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or \
taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly \
prohibited and may be unlawful. Vialis is neither liable for the proper and complete \
transmission of the information contained in this communication nor for any delay in \
its receipt.